The Windows 8 “Kingston University Game Jam” Competition
Terms & Conditions
1. ELIGIBILITY. This promotion is open to any person attending the Windows 8 Event at Kingston University on the 17th and 18th May 2013 in the United Kingdom who is registered to publish Apps on the UK Windows 8 Store and is eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry. Employees of Microsoft or its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotion agencies are not eligible, nor are members of these employees’ families (defined as parents, children, siblings, spouse and life partners).
2. ENTRY. Entry to the competition is dependent on the successful self-publication of your Windows 8 game Windows Phone 8 Store to the Windows 8 Store by 31st May 2013
There is no limit to the number of game you can submit to the Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8 Store for the competition.
Please be aware that there is an annual registration fee required to register as a publisher of Apps on the Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 Store. You will need to be registered to successfully submit a game app if you a student please see www.dreamspark.com for a free developer and store account.
To the extent that entry requires the submission of user-generated content such as photos, videos, music, artwork, essays, etc., entrants warrant that their entry is their original work, has not been copied from others, and does not violate the privacy, intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or entity.
Entries will be ineligible for the prize draw if they:
• are incomplete;
• violate the rights of any other person or entity; or • are received outside of the Promotion Period set out below.
Entry constitutes full and unconditional acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. Microsoft is not responsible for lost, corrupted or delayed entries. Microsoft reserves the right to disqualify anyone who violates these Terms and Conditions.
3. TIMING. This promotion runs from Saturday 18th May 2013 until 11.59:59 p.m. GMT on Friday, May 31st 2013 (inclusive) (the “Promotion Period”).
4. USE OF YOUR ENTRY. Personal data which you provide when you enter may be used for future Microsoft marketing activity if you indicate your consent on the entry form (if applicable). Otherwise your personal data will be used by Microsoft and agents acting on Microsoft’s behalf only for the operation of this promotion.
5. SELECTION OF WINNERS. All valid entries will be initially reviewed by a Microsoft panel of judges. The final judging decision will be made by Monday, 10th of June 2013.
Judging will be based on the criteria below and will be scored out of 10 for each category:
Originality of the game idea
Creative use of audio
Design and artwork
Use of Windows 8 App features and graphical UI Playability of the game
A maximum of one prize per eligible entry is allowed. Winners will be notified by email to the address provided by the potential winner by Tuesday, 16th of June. If a potential winner has not confirmed receipt of the notification within TEN (10) days after the first attempt, an alternative winner will be selected on the same basis as described above (either at random for prize draws or according to the same judging criteria for competitions). Winners may be asked to provide identification proving their eligibility before they are entitled to receive the prize. Winners may be required to participate in further publicity or advertising.
6. PRIZE(S). There will be first prizes as detailed below.
The prize(s) will be as follows a maximum of three prizes will be issued to a team (Maximum team size 3 x individuals):
1 x Microsoft Windows Phone
1 x Microsoft Kinect
Prizes are as stated and are not transferable. No cash alternatives available. Microsoft reserves the right to substitute the prizes with prizes of equal or greater value. All prizes will be sent by Microsoft or its agent no later than 28 days after the prize draw has been made by Microsoft. Unless otherwise stated, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and/or terms and conditions.
Prizes may be considered as a taxable benefit to the winners. Winners will be directly responsible for accounting for and paying to HMRC, or other relevant tax authority, any tax liability arising on their prize. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any query related to the taxable amount for reporting to HMRC, or other relevant tax authority.
7. WINNERS LIST. Each winner consents to his/her surname being made publicly available upon request. Winners’ names will be available for a period of 28 days after the selection of winners by written request to Andrew@microsoft.com
8. OTHER. No correspondence will be entered into regarding either this promotion or these Terms and Conditions. In the unlikely event of a dispute, Microsoft’s decision shall be final. Microsoft reserves the right to amend, modify, cancel or withdraw this promotion at any time but only before the delivery of prizes, without notice.
Participants in this promotion agree that Microsoft will have no liability whatsoever for any injuries, costs, damage, disappointment or losses of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly from acceptance, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in this promotion. Nothing in this clause shall limit Microsoft’s liability in respect of death or personal injury arising out of its own negligence or liability arising out of Microsoft’s fraud.
Microsoft cannot guarantee the performance of any third party and shall not be liable for any act or default by a third party.
9. SPIRIT OF THE COMPETITION. If an entrant attempts to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this promotion by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from that entrant to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we will disqualify that entrant’s entry to this promotion and may ban the entrant from participating in any of our future promotions, so please play fairly.
Promoter: Microsoft Limited (“Microsoft”), Microsoft Campus, Thames Valley Park, Reading, RG6 1WG, England